Thursday, December 27, 2018

Christopher's Story ..... June 2017

June 2017

Memorial Day 2017 I noticed I was a few days late, but didn’t think anything of it because pregnancy wasn't an option, as we had been told.  A few days after that I thought, why not, just go ahead and buy the test ... again.  Like so many months over so many years.  So, I did. On June 1st, I got up bright and early, because that’s what the box says, right?  I took the test – and it was positive.  Kevin and I were both in shock and total unbelief.  We went up to the hospital that morning to take another ‘official’ test and it came back negative.  They told us we would have to wait 10 days to make an appointment with our doctor to take another one.  

 Art Walk - Downtown FWB - Sweet Cozy Sunshine - 6.2.17 - The day after we found out about the pregnancy
The smile says it all!
Over that weekend, I had a vendor event where I completely lost my voice, as in not even a whisper could come out when I spoke.  On Monday, I dropped Caroline off at VBS and went straight to the hospital.  Came to the front desk and told the airman my story – positive home test, negative lab test, past history of high risk pregnancy and infertility.  She laughed at the fact that I had no voice and talked to the doctor – who ordered a blood test right there.  Got the call later that day that, the results were positive. To say we were speechless was an understatement – not just the fact that I had lost my voice, or the fact that it was positive (many home tests over the weekend re-confirmed that), but the fact that this was the same week, the year before that I had had a surgery determining that pregnancy was ‘impossible’ and also the answer to the wise words of Kevin. We had waited a year, and God had given us a clear answer – one that we never expected!

First Ultrasound

6.16.17 -  5 weeks 2 days
The next day I headed up to the OBGYN’s office to fill out initial paperwork and to talk to the nurse.  On the paperwork, I indicated the surgery I had had the year prior and what the results were.  She looked over the paperwork and said, “Well, this is more than likely an ectopic pregnancy.  Make sure you look for these signs and when you start having them, come up to the ER right away.”  Then, she booked an appointment with the doctor for 10 days later to have an ultrasound. Needless to say, for long 10 days ... we waited.

On June 16th we went to the appointment.  The ultrasound started and we heard ‘yes, it is in there’ – we verified with him numerous times, that he meant that it was inside the uterus and not an ectopic pregnancy that the original nurse was sure of. Then, he and the assistant kept looking at the ultrasound looking concerned and making small comments to each other.  There was no heartbeat.  Our hearts started to sink.  He said it was OK because I was actually measuring 10 days behind what I originally thought, so at that point there would be no heartbeat.  Come back next week and we will check again.  So, again ... we waited.

Caroline meeting my Grandma  
November 2010
The next Tuesday, we received news that my Grandmother had passed away.  For those of you who don’t know, the day we found out we were pregnant with Caroline, my other Grandmother had passed away.  So, the timing of this passing and pregnancy was extremely unique and precious to us.  





Second Ultrasound


 6.22.17 - 6 weeks 1 day
Two days later, on Kevin’s birthday, all three of us went to the appointment.  We didn’t tell Caroline anything that was going on.  We had figured, if it was good news, it would be a fun way to tell her. If it was bad news, she wouldn’t know what was going on and we could explain it to her later.  We arranged with the assistant to bring me back and get me prepped for the ultrasound, then when they had started, to bring Kevin and Caroline back.  Here is the video of how that ultrasound went.  The camera was turned to Kevin and Caroline in the dark room, but if you turn the volume up, you can hear their exchange J

After the lights turned on, you can see the pure excitement on both of their faces <3
So, we had a baby in the womb, with a heartbeat and a due date of February 14, 2018.  
All three of us were totally and completely in love with this new little baby we had never met.



"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well"
Psalm 139:13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment